Thursday, November 6, 2008

Requiem for Ravenholm

Well last night I entered the terrors that anyone who has played Half Life 2 has experienced, going through Ravenholm. Stepping foot into the place where even Eli tries to tell me not to go, but of course I'm forced into the worst possible place ever. While walking through, I realize that there is no ammo at all. Seriously, no ammo ever. Nothing is more terrifying that striking a monkey zombie or as I refer to them, spider zombies, with a freaking crowbar because my last shotgun bullet went to attacking the toxic terror zombie who owns you like no other. Just when you think it can't get worse, three more spider zombies come barreling down on you jumping off of roofs, throwing one of infinite red explosive barrels, oh ya, one's on fire too which not only when he gets to me, I'm burning alive! I guess I skipped around there but ya that's just part of what makes it so terrifying.

Another part of the experience are pretty much these 2 sound bytes, which are pretty much the scariest music ever and send chills down your spine. They sure did when I just listened to them.
Requiem for Ravenholm
Ravenholm Reprise

Next, you encounter the freaky, yet oddly religious? man who I'm forgetting his name but he calls himself the father of these poor creatures. He frees them from their suffering with sick, inhumane traps that half the time destroy you instead of their "intended targets". Oh ya and he needs to fix his freaking gondola. IT MOVES SO SLOWLY!!!!! God may actually like the man if he just helped you suffer less, but of course his 1 piece of help is giving you a shotgun right as you get to experience the pure joy of you first spider zombie in your face. One might think in your face is not possible, wait until you see it, it is possible and it happens.

Now you may think a lot of these things just aren't scary, but hey it's not so bad if you play on mute, while the sun is shining and the birds are chirping. But wait, I played thru this at night, speakers turned up at full volume just to give myself to full spine chilling experience. While I had a hard time sleeping last night, it was definitely worth it! Nothing quite comes close to feeling your hand tremble in fear with whats around the next corner or possibly up a ladder or below you, but it still scares you no matter where it comes from.

The last thing I can think of at the moment that just utterly makes you paranoid beyond no end is pretty much one thing Half Life is known for, the god damn headcrabs. These creepy little things are basically what create the zombies. As you can see in my video the zombies used to be real people until a headcrab latched itself onto the persons head and became in control of them. While fortunately for you, you have an HEV suit so you don't have to worry about it, but still headcrabs jumping out at you and hearing that little noise they make, makes you panic all the same. One other thing about noise, I'd say the worst noise of all is hearing the howl of a spider zombie. Just knowing one is coming scared the crap out of me, like really, no jokes here. It's scary stuff.

Well I think that's about all I have at this point, who knows maybe I'll make a part 2 to further discuss the terror but it's all I have for now!

Enjoy the video!

Turn up your volume for full experience!


0 comments: